Sunday, September 22, 2013
2013 Tempe Triathlon
September 22, 2013
Olympic / Sprint Triathlon and Relay
Red Rock proudly announces the seventh year of the Nathan Tempe Triathlon. Come out in compete in either the Olympic, Sprint, Paratriathlete Waves or Relay (Olympic AND Sprint) race. The swim is hosted in the calm waters of Tempe Town Lake, followed by the best Olympic bike course in Tempe, and a run along the multi-use path around the lake.
- Chip Timing (5 splits)
- Gender specific cut Dri-Fit Event T-shirt
- Awards 3 Deep Overall
- Awards 3 Deep for age categories
- Fully stocked run aid stations
- Race Photos Available
- Relays - Olympic AND Sprint
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
All participants start at Tempe Beach Park, on the south bank, just west of the Mill Avenue Bridge.
Notes on the Course - The swim takes place in a man-made lake that is very calm unless there are high winds (ie storm force). The swim course will be a rectangle for both the Sprint and Olympic athletes. Water temperatures will be approximately 80 degrees. We will be monitoring and posting the temperature of the lake right up to the event (note 78 degrees considered wetsuit legal by USAT). The bike portion is a relatively flat, urban, looped course; each loop is approximately 12.3 miles. The run is a 3.1 mile loop around Tempe Town Lake with some great views of ASU and the developing landscape of Tempe! Olympic distance athletes must complete 2 loops of the bike and 2 loops of the run course respectively.
COURSE MAPS CLICK HERE!
Weather - historical weather has high temperatures in the low 90's, with low's in the mid 60's. Its a dry heat!
*Non-USAT members will be required to pay an additional $12, for a 1 day license from USAT. More information about USAT is listed here.
Age groups are broken down into 5-year increments, based on your age as of December 31, 2013.
Relay teams consist of two or three members. For 2-person teams, one person must do two of the legs. For 3-person teams, each person does one leg. We have had some creative names, costumes etc...bring it on!
EVENT TIME SCHEDULE (Subject to Change)
ATHLETE GUIDE- Will be available on Tuesday, September 17, 2013.
Saturday September 21, 2013
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Registration and Packet Pickup at Tempe Beach Park
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: EXPO officially open!
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Bike check-in (mandatory) at Tempe Beach Park
Sunday September 22, 2013
5:00 a.m. – 6:45 a.m. - Transition Open
6:20 a.m. – International Pro Race Starts
· 6:20 – Wave 1 – Pro International Male (Red)
· 6:25 – Wave 2 – Pro International Female (Red)
6:40 a.m. – International Para-Athlete Race Starts
· 6:40 – Wave 3 – Para- Athlete International (Light Blue)
7:05 a.m. – Sprint Race Starts
· 7:05 – Wave 4 – Pro Sprint ALL (Orange)
· 7:05 – Wave 4 – Male 1 – 39 (Orange)
· 7:09 – Wave 5 – Male 40 – 69+ (Silver)
· 7:13 – Wave 6 – ALL Sprint Relay (Light Blue)
· 7:17 – Wave 7 – Female 1- 39 (Red)
· 7:21 – Wave 8 – Female 40 – 69+ (Neon Green)
· 7:21 – Wave 8 – First Timers (Neon Green)
7:25 a.m. – International Race Starts
· 7:25 – Wave 9 – International Relay (Pink)
· 7:25 – Wave 9 – International Male 51 – 69+ (Pink)
· 7:29 – Wave 10 – International Male 41 – 50 (White)
· 7:33 – Wave 11 – International Male 31 – 40 (Neon Green)
· 7:37 – Wave 12 – International Male 1 – 30 (Black)
· 7:41 – Wave 13 – International Female 1-39 (Yellow)
· 7:45 – Wave 14 – International Female 40 – 69+ (Light Blue)
· 7:45 – Wave 14 –First Timers (Light Blue)
7:45 a.m. – Sprint Para-Athlete Race Starts
· 7:45 – Wave 14 – Para-Athlete Sprint Indv. and Relay (Light Blue)
TENTATIVE WAVE SCHEDULE AND CAP COLORS:
These may change so be sure to check the swim wave board during packet pickup on Saturday.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONSDIRECTIONS / PARKING
Parking is available (limited) for athletes in the US Airways parking garage on Saturday. Parking on Sunday in the US Airways building is FREE! Once the garage is full you will need to park on city streets OR at other parking logs near Rio Salado and Mill Avenue.
Discounts are available at both Tempe Quality in Airport and Holiday Inn Phoenix Airport. Please call and tell them you are with the Nathan's Tempe Triathlon to ensure Triathlon Discount.
Tempe Quality Inn (Phoenix Airport)
A portion of all proceeds will benefit local charities and non-profits through out the valley.
Can't race but would like to see what it is all about? Want to get involved in the community and possibly earn some cash for your favorite charity? Contact our volunteer coordinator for more details on how you can get involved!
The race course and timeline can be changed at the discretion of the race organization. All distances are approximate by GPS measurements. The race can be altered, postponed or cancelled with no refunds due to weather, natural disturbances, police activity, acts/threats of terrorism.